Safeguarding guidance and resources for schools.
Further information for schools on safeguarding can be found here (login required).
Peer on peer abuse – Everyone’s Invited and resources for schools
The testimonies on the Everyone’s Invited website have drawn attention to the issue of peer-on-peer abuse in schools.
The ISC issued a statement acknowledging how seriously schools are taking this issue, explaining they are having meaningful conversations with students, alumni and parents as they look at what further actions they can take; and released a further statement in response to the Government commissioned Ofsted review.
Schools may find the following documents helpful:
- Ofsted review of sexual abuse in schools and colleges – final report and press release (10 June 2021)
- Ofsted review – ISC press release (10 June 2021)
- Ofsted review – DfE press release (10 June 2021)
- DfE announcement (31 March)
- Ofsted terms of reference (7 April)
- Part 5 of Keeping children safe in education on ‘Child on child sexual violence and sexual harassment’
- DfE guidance - Sexual violence and sexual harassment between children in schools and colleges May 2018
- The Government’s Tackling Child Sexual Abuse Strategy
- Sharing nudes and semi-nudes: advice for education settings working with children and young people (DCMS and UK Council for Internet Safety)
- The DfE's non-statutory guidance on mental health and behaviour in schools
- DfE's self-assessment tool on Respectful School Communities
- Welsh Government National Action Plan and resources on preventing and responding to child sexual abuse
Overview of issues
- A note produced by the Safeguarding Unit at Farrer & Co on next steps for schools – 18 March (ISC Member Zone login required)
- Everyone’s Invited: let’s talk – discussion note by Safeguarding Unit at Farrer & Co – 31 March (ISC Member Zone login required)
- VWV update on “Everyone’s Invited” – 9 April (ISC Member Zone login required)
Peer on peer abuse
Relationships and sex education (RSE)
- Relationships and sex education (RSE) and health education curriculum and related documents
- The DfE has published a series of teacher training modules with materials on delivering the new RSE curriculum. The latest covers the ‘Being safe’ content and looks at issues around both consent and abuse.
- RSHE implementation guidance from ASCL, NAHT, NEU, the PSHE Association and the Sex Education Forum to support schools with statutory relationships education
- PSHE Association guidance on teaching about pornography
- PSHE Association guidance on teaching about consent
Advice for parents
Resources for tackling online sexual harassment
- Online Sexual Harassment: Comprehensive guidance for schools
- Online Sexual Harassment: School policy
- Online Sexual Harassment: Guidance for students
- RSHE Policy Guide and Template
- House of Commons, Women and Equalities Committee Sexual harassment and sexual violence in schools (third report of session 2016-17)
- Safeguarding and Child Protection Association (sacpa)
- NSPCC Learning
- NSPCC helpline number (for potential victims of sexual harassment and abuse in education) - 0800 136 663
- Brook - advice and help for young people
- The Rap Project - information for teenagers, parents, and teachers.
- Digital Awareness UK; their work with schools and available resources