Bolton School Boys' Division
Academic excellence at one of the North's pre-eminent schools; outstanding facilities set in 32 acres of grounds and an outdoor pursuits centre in the Lake District. Strong extra-curricular and pastoral programmes. From Nursery to Sixth Form, there is an emphasis on developing the whole person in a caring and friendly environment. Full fee bursaries are available from age 11+.
Mr Philip Britton (Headmaster)
Religious affiliation: Non-denominational
Day/boarding type: Day
Gender profile: Boys only
Bolton School Boys' Division fees:
Day fees per term:
£3,130 to £3,912
Scholarships & bursaries:
ISC reference number:
DfE reference number:
350 / 6014
Boys - age range & pupil numbers:
Day: 7 to 18 (1098)
Sixth form: (204)
SEND AT Bolton School Boys’ Division
- We support pupils with many different conditions, including ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, visual and hearing impairments, working memory and processing problems.
- Pupils receive support from the learning support team in study skills and many different areas dependent on their needs, such as literacy support, emotional and social development, handwriting and typing interventions.
- The pupils’ teachers are aware of pupils’ needs via the Pupil Plan to personalise the boys’ learning experience.
- Each pupil has a designated point of contact within the department who tracks their progress and reviews the Pupil Plan with the pupil in review meetings.
- Boys who already have a diagnosis receive support on entrance exam days.
- We operate a screening test in Years 7 and 9 to identify a range of possible learning difficulties in the Senior School and ensure pupils’ needs are met.
EAL at Bolton School Boys’ Division
- We have a number of pupils in school who have recently arrived from overseas and have English as an Additional Language.
- Each pupil completes a language placement test prior to their arrival to enable us to provide necessary English language support to ensure the pupil has full access to the curriculum.
- Pupils also attend a regular English discussion club run by the EAL Coordinator that is facilitated by Sixth Form native speaker pupils to develop EAL pupils’ command of English.
We have several bilingual pupils at Bolton School – their aptitude for languages is celebrated at our Culture Club – the student body are able to benefit from the vast array of cultures, faiths and languages within our community.
Bursaries & Scholarships
Financial assistance is available to those families with pupils entering Bolton School Girls’ Division or Boys’ Division from ages 11 through to 18. Currently, one in five pupils receive Bursary-assisted places.
The awards are based on the child's performance on the Entrance Testing Day and the degree of assistance required. The latter is based on an annual declaration of income and assets. The Bursary will continue for every year in which your child remains at the School. However, the amount to which you are entitled is re-assessed annually.
Parents whose income is less than circa £20,000 may be offered full remission of fees. Those parents whose income exceeds circa £80,000 will not qualify for assistance.
Bursary support is also available to students who apply to join the Boys' or Girls' Division Sixth Form. We award bursaries after consideration of family income and a student's academic merit. In order to help us ascertain the academic potential of students applying for a bursary we will require them to sit a cognitive test administered by the School.
A number of new Scholarships are available to pupils entering either the Girls’ or Boys’ Division in Year 7. These generous Scholarships are not means-tested and are awarded to those pupils who, we believe, will make a strong contribution to the academic and wider life of the School.
The Scholarships are offered at the discretion of the Headmistress or Headmaster following the Bolton School Entrance Examination and Interview.
Separately, half and full organ scholarships are available in the Boys' Division only.
Scholarships & Bursaries offered
- Academic scholarships
- Bursaries for new entrants
Disclaimer: Data is provided by the school, ISC is not responsible for inaccuracies