Senior Technical Research Analyst - (using SQL Server, ASP.NET & C) ##
The Independent Schools Council (ISC) is the umbrella body made up of seven member Associations and representing over 1,250 independent schools educating more than 500,000 children. ISC schools are diverse: from well-known boarding schools to non-selective day schools serving local communities. The great majority of children in UK independent schools are in ISC schools: ISC therefore speaks for the sector as a whole. ISC is strictly independent of all political parties and acts in the interests of all children.
A key task for ISC is to provide evidence-based policy advice to government and the public, and to disseminate accurate information about the sector. Both depend on the output of a high quality, proactive research team.
Main purpose of job
Reporting directly to the acting Head of Research, the successful candidate will provide technical research support covering all aspects of ISC research initiatives. On occasion, support will also be needed for non-technical research projects.
A highly numerate and technical analyst with the ability to work confidently and accurately under pressure. As well as being proficient with a range of technical software (such as SQL Server and ASP.NET) the successful candidate will also have good written and verbal communication skills, be highly motivated and be able to gain a quick understanding of ISC’s technical processes.
We are looking for someone who:
- has advanced SQL skills and can create, maintain and run a variety of database queries
- has good ASP.NET programming skills (C# required) with the ability to develop web applications in Visual Studio with a database backend in SQL Server
- has advanced Excel and data analysis skills
- is highly numerate and literate with an excellent attention to detail
- has good written and verbal communications kills
- is highly motivated and proactive
- can work well under pressure and is used to working to tight deadlines
- Is a team player and shows willingness to contribute to the wider ISC office team’s goals and objectives
- To work extensively with our vast SQL Server database of Census data. Primarily you will be producing data analysis for inputting into our annual Census report but you will also work with this dataset throughout the year on other related research projects as well as smaller ad hoc research requests
- To work accurately under pressure with our SQL Server database of exam result data. Every August we collate and analyse exam result data from ISC schools. This analysis has to be produced very quickly as it is published in the press within a week of release
- To use your ASP.NET programming skills to adapt old and develop new on-line questionnaires for completion by a range of ISC stakeholders (such as Heads of ISC schools and parents of ISC pupils)
- To analyse results from new questionnaires and present findings to the Head of research
- To work extensively in Excel to analyse and manipulate datasets
- To perform regular SQL Server database maintenance
- To work on other research tasks as required
Desirable but not essential
In addition, the following skills are desirable but not essential: - experience of using Adobe Illustrator to allow creative communication of our research findings - experience of developing web applications for multiple operating systems and devices - Knowledge of our sector
Salary: £40,000 p.a.
Contract Type: Fixed contract full time (maternity cover 9 months)
Closing date for applications: Sunday 13th November
Interviews: 1st Round 15th November, 2nd round date TBC
Office hours: 9am-5pm, plus additional hours in busy periods as required.
Workplace: ISC is a small organisation, with an open and friendly working environment, based near Victoria.
To apply please send your C.V. and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org