School Regulation and Inspection - update November 2017
Data Protection, New Pre-action Protocol for Debt Claims, Charity Regulation, DfE consultation on Ofsted and ISSRs, Credit Cards Charges and the Payment Services Directive, Religious education and ISBA bulletin
- DfE has published privacy notice model documents.
- DfE has started publishing a Data Protection blog to support schools with GDPR implementation.
- VWV has written an article on staff and governors using private e-mail accounts.
- Comparitech has published an article on digital privacy for teachers.
- The ICO has announced that it is launching a dedicated telephone service aimed at helping small businesses prepare for new data protection laws. The service, based around the existing public helpline, will be available to companies which employ fewer than 250 people.
- Stephenson Harwood has published an article on the Article 29 Working Party guidelines on Data Protection Impact Assessments.
New Pre-action Protocol for Debt Claims
A new Pre-action Protocol for Debt Claims came into force on 1 October 2017.
ISBA has published a guidance note on the Protocol which applies to all businesses claiming payment of a debt from an individual debtor. It will therefore apply to the collection of school fee debts. Schools can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for login details.
- The third edition of the Charity Governance Code was published in July. The Code is a practical tool to help charities and their trustees develop high standards of governance; it is not however a legal or regulatory requirement. The Charity Commission supports and endorses the code and recommends it as essential reading for all trustees.
- The Charity Commission has updated its guidance on preparing an annual return to include a link to Charity reporting and accounting (CC15c) and new summary tables showing what you need to submit. There is also a new section on how to authorise a charity adviser to submit accounts.
- The latest edition of CC News has been published. It contains links to updated sanctions guidance, GDPR guidance on the ICO website and links to information about the government’s National Cyber Security Strategy.
- The Charity Commission has launched a consultation on information to be collected in registered charities' annual returns from 2018. The consultation closes on 24 November 2017.
- The Charity Commission has updated guidance for charity trustees about serious incidents, how to spot them and how to report.
- The ICO expects to publish guidance on consent in December. ISC will flag this to schools once available.
- The Fundraising Regulator is consulting on Data Protection within the Code of Fundraising Practice; the consultation seeks to update the Code to mirror the upcoming GDPR legislation and to make the Code as clear as possible about fundraiser’s duties in relation to data protection. The consultation closes on 8 December 2017.
DfE consultation on Ofsted and ISSRs
DfE has launched a consultation on revised fees for Ofsted inspections of independent schools and amendments to the independent school standards. The consultation closes on 7 December 2017.
Credit Cards Charges and the Payment Services Directive
ISBA has published a note on the Payment Services Directive 2 and the Payment Surcharge Ban; the latter will be applicable to schools. Schools having problems viewing this note can contact email@example.com.
The Commission on Religious Education has launched a consultation on their interim report, Religious Education For All. The consultation seeks views on the proposed national entitlement for RE applying to independent schools and closes on 4 December 2017.
ISBA has published its latest e-magazine which includes articles on GDPR, employment issues and the updated ISI commentary.
School Regulation and Inspection - update September 2017
Data Protection, Charity Law, Pupil UPNs, Law Commission Report on Charity Law, Adrenaline auto-injectors and InspectionsRead More
School Regulation and Inspection - update July 2017
The Information Commissioner's Office has published revised guidance.Read More
School Regulation and Inspection - update June 2017
How to prepare for the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)Read More
School Regulation and Inspection - update May 2017
Inspection - advice from ISIRead More
School Regulation and Inspection - update April 2017
Apprenticeship levyRead More
Teacher Workload Survey 2016
DfE Research reportDownload
Subject access code of practice
SAR code of practice: Dealing with requests from individuals for personal informationDownload